We are all salespeople in our own right. Some of us sell for a living, others sell/advocate on behalf of their passion. This blog is meant to share the trials, tribulations, victories, and lessons learned..............from one salesperson to another.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Those Darn Competitors

I always make it a point to stop into competitors completed projects any chance I get. Of course, I'm hoping to find any type of failure or bad news that they are experiencing, that I can use for future ammo. The truth is, every now and then, the competitors work looks pretty good. That was the case on a project that I stopped in on today. I came out of there with no ammo. Nothing but a small sense of defeat and resentment at myself for not doing a better job at winning that project.

The competitors are not always as bad as we make them up to be in our own imagination. They are often times very similar to us, just trying to make an honest living. No, this isn't always the case, and no, this is not the picture of them that I paint in my mind......but it's the truth.

I've learned to tell clients when I believe they have a job well done by one of my competitors. If it's true, they know it as well as you know it......and it does no good to pretend otherwise. Clients appreciate this.

In the end, our world revolves around competition. It makes us all better, and it makes the goods and services available better......for the most part. Embrace competitors, and allow them to make you better. Remember that if there were not competitors, there would never be the feeling of victory!!

No comments:

Post a Comment