We are all salespeople in our own right. Some of us sell for a living, others sell/advocate on behalf of their passion. This blog is meant to share the trials, tribulations, victories, and lessons learned..............from one salesperson to another.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Preparation is First

I've learned that one component to sales that will put you ahead or behind before the meeting even begins is the preparation put into the meeting prior to.  I have a meeting in College Station, TX mid-morning tomorrow.  On a typical day, I would leave Dallas by 6:00am to arrive easily by 10am.  They are calling for a chance of icy conditions tonight, which could make for a stressful morning trying to get out of Dallas.  I made a last minute decision to drive half-way tonight, to give myself plenty of breathing room in the morning.

This trade-off assures me a stress-free, and productive morning, before meetings start.  I would have so loved to spend the evening at home with the family, but the trade-off is well worth the sacrifice.  For me, if a day begins stressfully, it is difficult to ever get it on track and in a chaotic comfort zone (how I like it).  On the flip-side, if things go as planned before 10am, days are much easier to keep on track and under control.

Preparation to get to a meeting is something that I've always been good at, and it has paid off time and time again.  One of my weaknesses lies in the next step of preparation.  I find more often than I would like, that I get to a meeting and am missing some of the supporting documentation or samples that would have helped me make the meeting more productive.  I'm constantly regretting that I didn't have something printed out, or a solution well thought out prior to needing it.  I always get it in the form of a follow-up, but that doesn't keep the momentum building at the right time.  I'm trying to get better.............I must get better.

I am always impressed with my financial advisor.  He is a fast-paced, successful salesman, with tons of clients.  Yet, every time I come to his office for a scheduled meeting, he has tons of documents printed out for me, with my name on them, highlighted where he knows I'm interested.  Some of these documents I have requested prior to the meeting, and some he initiated on his own.  While I'm with him, I get the sense that I am the only client he works with........the most important client of all.  This is all due to his preparation.  I gather sales tips from him every time we're together, and look forward to our meetings for this reason.  He brings value to me, and he has my business for life because of it.

**I am a loyal Marriott member, but can't stand Fairfields.  I sit in one tonight, regretting that the only fitness equipment at my disposal is a treadmill and bike.  But hey, at least this Fairfield has a fitness room!!

No comments:

Post a Comment