We are all salespeople in our own right. Some of us sell for a living, others sell/advocate on behalf of their passion. This blog is meant to share the trials, tribulations, victories, and lessons learned..............from one salesperson to another.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Selling Solo

In my world, most of my travel destinations result in working with reps, dealers, and colleagues that I am with for 90% of the duration of my trip. There is very little time that is spent alone, or without a predetermined agenda.

Every now and then I travel to an event alone, such as the one I'm attending this weekend. Everyone at this event is a potential customer. The event schedule is my predetermined agenda, but it is much more loose and laid-back than what I am used to. This allows a lot of time and flexibility to network.

I'm not one to sit at a bar alone very often, but at an event like this.........that just might be the most beneficial thing you can do. At the conclusion of the event each day, you will find the hotel bar to be the common ground where most people end up. Simply hanging around will open many doors.

A salesman traveling solo can be dangerous...........for his competitors that is. When your schedule is flexible, and you have very few places that you "must" be.........and you're in an environment full of potential clients.........you can create your own perfect storm of opportunities. Play it right, and your competitors will find themselves falling behind for reasons that they just can't put their finger on. Learning when and where to go, and how to play it right when you're there.......are the keys to making these trips worthwhile. I'm still learning. I'm not the best at it. But, I'm much better than I was 2 years ago, and I can see results because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment