We are all salespeople in our own right. Some of us sell for a living, others sell/advocate on behalf of their passion. This blog is meant to share the trials, tribulations, victories, and lessons learned..............from one salesperson to another.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Break Ties Positively

A few years ago I was close to hiring a sales agent, when he broke it to me that he had decided to employ with a different company......as it was a better situation for his family. In evaluating his situation, I agreed that the other opportunity was a better fit for him at the time, and that we should stay in communication as we go our separate ways. The timing simply wasn't right for either of us.

Now, 3 years later, I send him a quick inquiry text not expecting much to come from it, and 48 hours later we have met and may have the opportunity to work together again. The timing and situation appear to be better for both of us.

Now I think back to 3 years ago: I did agree that the other opportunity was a better fit, but I still didn't like the fact that we was going with a different company after the work I had invested in him. I remember a moment of angry frustration that I had while sitting on the phone in O'Hare airport, as he broke the news to me. I wasn't mad at him, and I didn't blame him. But I was frustrated that things didn't go my way, and I lost. Looking back on it now, I'm glad that my frustration did not translate through the phone to the candidate. Everything went very friendly on both sides.......and things might work out now, 3 years later, because of it.

To give advice to not burn bridges is so cliche that it doesn't have a great impact.......as words of advice anyway. Its probably not as much a result of intentionally not burning bridges as it is simply following the Golden Rule (as if it doesn't get more cliche than that). If you treat others in the manner that you want to be treated, you will break ties positively.......and keep many doors open for the future. You'll be amazed at how useful those open doors may be. Of course, you probably won't even realize the doors exist if you're used to seeing them all closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment