We are all salespeople in our own right. Some of us sell for a living, others sell/advocate on behalf of their passion. This blog is meant to share the trials, tribulations, victories, and lessons learned..............from one salesperson to another.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Travel Pains

The family life of a traveling salesman is not normal. There is a long list of pro's and con's, and it's definitely not for everyone. One of the con's is not being available to be home when needed unexpectedly. I needed to be home today, my family needed me. There was no reasonable way for me to make that happen. Last night, we didn't even have a hint that I would be needed today........this morning, it was very clear.

90% of the time, it's not a big deal that I'm not in striking distance to home, on the whim of a phone call. We can plan out when I'm absolutely needed, and when I'm not. Today fell into the other 10%. Today was painful, not so much for me, but my family.......and specifically my wife. There is a lot of give and take that comes with this profession, and it's painful when the family takes the brunt.

Like anything, you must measure the value obtained at the end of the pro and con evaluation. Is it worth it?? My family has experienced it for long enough that the question no longer really needs to be discussed, it's nothing new........but that doesn't help during the painful times. When it sucks, it sucks........and there's nothing you can do other than hope that it doesn't suck too often.

There are huge sacrifices being made by every traveling salesman, and especially their family. The sacrifices are the biggest reason to make sure that time on the road is time well spent, and it is our responsibility to make sure that these sacrifices are not being made in vain.

**. When this Courtyard in Fountain Valley told me that they serve dinner downstairs, I was assuming something decent. I'll know better next time.......a very disappointing dinner. Not that it will necessarily change my mind, after all it was the only place in walking distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment