We are all salespeople in our own right. Some of us sell for a living, others sell/advocate on behalf of their passion. This blog is meant to share the trials, tribulations, victories, and lessons learned..............from one salesperson to another.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

What Are My Competitors Doing?

Our world runs on competition, as it should.  I respect worthy competitors, as they continue to raise the bar to make me better.  This doesn't mean that I root for them, or wish them luck..........but I respect what they do and acknowledge that honest competition is a good thing for our clients.

I constantly find myself attempting to benchmark my actions against those of my competitors.  Are they working harder than me?  Smarter than me?  More efficiently than me?  More aggressively than me?  What is it that they do that wins business away from me at times?  Do I need to wake up earlier?  Work later?  Become more knowledgable?  Dress differently?  Present differently?  Provide differently?

I don't track this as if I'm "chasing," as I beleive that presents the wrong intentions.  I need to stay a step ahead.  As they get faster, I must get faster.  As they get better, I must get better.  If I stay the same, I'll get left in their dust.

It's intriguing to me to think of what they do on a daily basis.  Are they comfortable, or are they scrambling?  Perhaps this is unhealthy, but it's intriguing nonetheless.  I think the awareness keeps me on my toes.  The unaware will be surpassed before they even realize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment