We are all salespeople in our own right. Some of us sell for a living, others sell/advocate on behalf of their passion. This blog is meant to share the trials, tribulations, victories, and lessons learned..............from one salesperson to another.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Convenient Improvement

When I'm on the road, each night as I'm winding down in my hotel room, it seems that I refect on activities that occured throughout that day and key in on areas that I need to improve.  I got to thinking last night that I have created a habit of improving when it's convenient to me.

When all is still, and there's actually nothing that I can do right or wrong, I come up with ways that I can do things better.  The problem is just that, it's on my mind at a time when I can't make a difference.  I can justify what I should be doing, but I have trouble maintaining that focus of improvement during the course of the day.......when my improvement actually matters.

In hindsight, things look clearer.  I should have done this, and I could have done that.  And, if something like this comes up tomorrow, I will respond differently.  Then, tomorrow comes, and I can't say for sure that I react as planned.  This is a simple exercise of learning from mistakes, and adjusting my actions so that the same mistakes are not repeated.

The conflict is simple, when we get caught in the moment, it is often less convenient for us to improve, and very easy for us to react as status quo.  To shape improvement, we must react in a way that is somewhat out of our comfort zone, out of our nature, and do things better than our covenient habits have created.  Getting better means learning new habits.......not when it's convenient to us, but when we have the chance to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment