We are all salespeople in our own right. Some of us sell for a living, others sell/advocate on behalf of their passion. This blog is meant to share the trials, tribulations, victories, and lessons learned..............from one salesperson to another.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Speech Flaw

I attended a banquet tonight in which I was asked to get up on stage to say a few words regarding my companies business relationship with the host organization.  No problem, rememember a few bullet points, say a few words, smile, and move on.  I went over my bullet-points in my head over and over leading up to, again.......no problem.  I went up to deliver my message to a room of 300+, and I'm sure if you asked anyone in the audience, my 20 seconds on the mic was fine.  As I was walking off the stage, I would have told you the same.  So why is that once I sat down, I realized that I only hit 2 of my 4 bullet points?  Are you kidding me?  I so wanted a do over.  I didn't mess up, I simply didn't take full advantage of a great opportunity.  What a bonehead move.

It puts a great perspective on my post from yesterday, I won't make that mistake again.

I identified tonight that when I get up to speak about a subject, I'm totally comfortable.  But when I get up to say thank you, I'm not comfortable at all.  But why?  I need to figure it out.  Until I do, I'll learn to prepare for the "thank you" speech differently than others.  Lesson learned.

**  I can't figure out this Kansas City Downtown Marriott.  It's connected to another Marriott that sits caddy-corner, but yet neither seem to have a gathering place (restaraunt/bar) in the lobby.  It's like 2 dissapointing hotels joined together hoping to create a mirage of a happening spot.  Not impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment